All Time Favourite Sunflower Seed Cookies (Vegan, Glutenfree)
Are you in the mood for cookies? Good. Do you want these cookies to be delicious and nutritious? Even better. The final question: are you into crunchy sunflower seeds and dark chocolate? Well, that’s perfect because we found the recipe for you! These sunflower seed cookies are high up on my favourite-baked-goodie list (I really do have such a list) and you will soon understand why. They are vegan thanks to the flax-egg and also glutenfree due to the almond flour. I LOVE these cookies so much that I bake them all the time and I can never get enough. Taste for yourselves and I predict that once you’re chewing this cookietastic goodness, you will put them on that list too!
those seeds are worth gold
Do you want to know what I forget all the time? That sunflower seeds carry their proud name because they come from the sunflower – silly mistake, I know. Each sunflower head carries hundreds of those little seeds and I am very grateful they do. Here is why: sunflower seeds are rich in polyunsaturated fats which help to improve blood cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk for heart disease and type II diabetes. ¼ cup of these little crunchy kernels also provides you with about 80% of your daily vitamin E dose, which is a fat-soluble antioxidant that counteracts oxidative damage in your body’s cells. Additionally, sunflower seeds provide us with phytosterol (~280 milligrams per 100g), a kind of plant-based cholesterol that contributes to improved immune system function and cancer protection. Other great elements that we find in sunflower seeds are magnesium (a mineral involved in energy metabolism, antioxidant production, maintenance of bone and cellular membranes and cardiovascular functioning), selenium (a trace element that constitutes an essential component of many different types of proteins in your body) and copper (a key component of enzymes that regulate physiological reactions involved in energy production and iron metabolism). What’s not to love? Come on, let’s get that oven going and mix up some yummy sunflower seeds!
Prep Time: 10 min
Baking Time: 12 min
Total Time: 22 min
Servings: One delicious batch of cookies! (okay, if you really need that number: ~12-16 cookies)
For this recipe you will need:
1 cup sunflower seeds
⅓ cup raw honey*
⅓ cup almond flour (coconut flour works too)
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seeds and 2 tbsp water)
½ cup dark chocolate chips (I use chocolate with 85% cocoa content)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
*instead of honey, you can also use agave syrup, coconut syrup, maple syrup or whatever else liquidy you have at hand!
- Preheat your oven to 180°C on fan mode and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small pan, heat the coconut oil just until it is melting.
- Take a blender or food processor and blend the flaxseeds together with the water on high.
- Add the sunflower seeds, raw honey, coconut oil, almond flour, baking soda and cinnamon and blend for a few seconds, until all ingredients are well combined. You are looking for a still chunky texture and do not want the batter to turn ultra smooth – roughly broken up sunflower seed cookies are key to success!
- Lastly, gently stir in the dark chocolate chips until all is well-combined.
- With a spoon, place the batter on the baking tray one cookie at a time. One heaped tablespoon makes one cookie, folks! There is no need to make their shapes look cookie-perfect, they can be a little uneven.
- Put these little fellas in the oven and bake them for 10-12 minutes or until they turn golden brown, the chocolate has melted and they look so tempting that you cannot possibly wait any longer! Bon Appétit, cookie fanatics. ♥