Vegan Coffee, Chocolate & Banana Loaf
Coffee, chocolate and banana in one loaf? On top of all of this walnuts? HELL YES! I love baking loafs of any sort, because it gives me an accomplished feeling when pulling a risen loaf out of the oven! Banana bread is one of my staple foods (I especially love making this vegan sunflower seed banana bread) and it’s nice to experiment with different ingredients especially when adding some chocolate to mix (according to me, that’s always a good idea). Would you like to get your hands on this recipe? I assume so. Let’s scroll!
are you bananas?
Bananas botanically belong to the berry category, I kid you not. They are a good provider of vitamin B6 which helps your body to produce red blood cells, metabolize carbs and fats to extract our food’s energy and maintain a healthy nervous system. Also, you may not think of bananas as a vitamin C source but surprise, they are! Vitamin C isn’t only famous for boosting immunity but also aids our bodies in iron absorption and producing serotonin, a hormone that affects our mood, sleep cycle and how we experience stress. Another compound that we find in bananas is manganese, which is a chemical element that’s great for your skin as it helps to produce collagen – a structural protein that makes up connective tissue. Something you may have heard of before is that bananas are filled with potassium and I can tell you that there’s truth to that! As it is low in sodium and high in potassium your heart says thank you because that’s the ratio that works against high blood pressure, folks! I would say that’s enough information for one day, let’s mash some of those lush bananas and enjoy some banana bread, si?
Prep Time: 10 min
Baking Time: 45-55 min
Total Time: 55-65 minutes
For this recipe you will need:
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tbsp flax seeds
⅓ cup plant-based milk of choice
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
½ tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp ground coffee
½ cup almond flour
⅓ cup coconut sugar
1 cup spelt flour
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
½ cup 85% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- In a blender, combine the flax seeds and plan-based milk until well-combined and similar to the consistency of an egg.
- In a big bowl, add in the mashed bananas, melted coconut oil, flax egg, peanut butter and vanilla extract. Whisk until a smooth batter has formed. Add the coconut sugar and stir in.
- Add in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ground coffee and pinch of salt and whisk well. Lastly add in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chunks and distribute throughout the batter.
- Pour the mix into a rectangular cake tin (either line it with baking paper or grease with some coconut oil) and bake the loaf in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool down before removing the tin and cutting thick slices. Drizzle some honey, maple syrup or a little bit of (vegan) butter on your heaven-sent slice and taste that nutty, chocolatey, rich banana-coffee-ness on your tongue.