Creamy Porridge with Cherry Compote, Almond Butter & Some Crunch
Yum, yum, YUM! I love to eat porridge in the morning. It is so warming and comforting and can be topped with whatever you like – all kinds of fruits, nuts, seeds, yoghurt, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon and a sprinkle of cocoa nibs. Simply delicious and a great way to spice up your variety of foods! This time, I added stirred sour cherries, almond butter, toasted pumpkin seeds, shaved almonds, coconut and maple syrup. A winning combination, if you ask me.
roll roll roll your oats
Oats are whole-grain, which is what we love because compared to refined grains, they are a much better source of fiber and nutrients. Additionally, oats are higher in protein than many other grains and provide you with antioxidants that help control your blood sugar and cholesterol levels, isn’t that fantastic? There seems to be some confusion about their gluten-content (which is only relevant to those who are intolerant to gluten. Gluten is a protein and not a mystified enemy!) and here is the answer: oats are usually gluten free BUT they are often handled in factories where there are also products containing barley, wheat and rye. Hence, contamination may cause for gluten to be present in the oats we buy UNLESS they are labelled glutenfree. Makes sense? Anyhow, either gluten-free or slightly gluten-contaminated oats are good for you and provide you not only with many minerals, nutrients and fiber, but they also offer a HUGE variety of ways to prepare them (more recipes will follow, of course). Alright, let’s stir these babies and make some breakfast!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Total Time: 15 min
For this recipe you will need:
¾ cup oats
¾ cup plant-based milk
¾ cup water
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ glass sour cherries
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp coconut flakes
1 tbsp flaked almonds
- In a small pot, heat the cherries in their juice and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next up is the porridge: in another small pot (or wash out the one you’ve used and transfer the cherries to a bowl), combine the oats, water, plant-based milk and cinnamon. Cook until the porridge is thick and creamy (~5min).
- In a pan, toast the pumpkin seeds, shaved almonds and coconut flakes until crunchy and golden brown.
- Scoop your porridge into your favourite breakfast bowl, top with a few tablespoons of sour cherries (get some juice in there too!), toasted nuts and seeds as well as almond butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. Are you getting as excited for the next breakfast as me? I sure hope so!
- Be aware of this time that you take to nourish your body and start your day in a mindful way. This right here makes all the difference.