Easy Vegan Hazelnut Cake
An easy peasy loaf to quickly whip together, pour into a cake tin and bake. It is delicious on its own but can also be enjoyed with toppings of your choice: stirred berries, coconut yoghurt and maple syrup, peanut butter, apple slices, chopped dark chocolate or caramelised banana. Pick your favourite!
Prep Time: 10 min
Baking Time: 45 – 50 min
Total Time: 55 – 60 min
Servings: 1 loaf
For this recipe you will need:
250g (2 1/2 cups) ground hazelnuts*
150g (1 1/5 cups) spelt or buckwheat flour as gluten-free option
100 – 120g (~ 1/2 cup) raw cane sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
(1 1/4 cups) 320ml unsweetened hazelnut milk*
4 tbsp maple syrup
For the drizzle:
70g (1/3 cup) 85% dark chocolate, melted
3 tbsp roasted, chopped hazelnuts*
*For those who have a hazelnut allergy, you can of course substitute with ground almonds, unsweetened almond milk and roasted almonds on top!
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Combine all dry ingredients (ground hazelnuts, flour of choice, raw cane sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) in a mixing bowl. Add the hazelnut milk and maple syrup and whisk until the batter is homogenous and without any remaining clumps.
- Pour the mixture into a rectangular baking tin (I used a silicone one so I didn’t have to grease it) and bake for 45 – 50 min or until a knife comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool down before removing it from the cake tin and coat with melted chocolate and roasted hazelnuts if desired.
- This cake tastes really good on its on but even better when topped with hazelnutbutter, stirred fruits or yoghurt and granola!