Vegan Fig & Hazelnut Spelt Scones with Cardamom & Orange
Scones are a British classic that is already comforting at the mere thought of it, don’t you think? Baked goods just add that extra cosiness to any home – a preheating oven, delicious scents in the air and a gathering in the kitchen because everyone is curious what was made. There are so many reasons to be baking these scones today – let’s go and fetch our aprons!
Prep Time: 20 min
Baking Time: 15-18 min
Total Time: 35-38 min
Servings: 6 scones
For this recipe you’ll need:
1 3/4 cups spelt flour (type 1050)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
pinch of salt
1/2 cup oat or almond milk (unsweetened)
1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
4 tbsp coconut oil (solid, not runny)
1/2 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
4 dried dates, roughly chopped
vegan margarine like Alsan and more honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a big bowl, combine the flour, spices, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Add in the almond milk (or oat milk), coconut oil and honey (or maple syrup) and knead the dough until it is homogenous.
- Fold in the hazelnuts and figs until evenly distributed.
- Flour the surface you’re working on (such as a big wooden board or your kitchen counter) and roll the dough with a rolling pin (about 2 cm thick). With a round cutter (with about 10cm in diameter), cut out the scones and put the dough back together to use up the rest. You can also simply shape the scones with your hands in case you have no such cutter, but they will be less even!
- Place the scones on the baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve while still warm!