Fruity Lentil Soup with Sweet Potato, Apple & Coconut (V, GF)
Lentil soup? Already ticked that box. Roasted sweet potato? A classic. Apples on our morning porridge? We know what’s good. But you know what: let’s put those three together, add some spices and a can of coconut milk and enjoy an incredibly tasty, fruity, comforting and heart-warming soup!
these potatoes truly are sweet
This starchy, root vegetable is not a regular potato, no, it is a sweet one! As you could maybe already tell from its vast orange colour, sweet potatoes are very rich in antioxidant beta-carotene, which is transformed into vitamin A by your body. Vitamin A is great for your eye health, skin repairment and healthy functioning of your white blood cells that play a crucial role in your immunity. Compared to regular potatoes, sweet potatoes are only minimally lower in carbohydrates (~24% in 100g as opposed to 37%). However, they provide us with steady, slow-burning energy as well as a carb-variety – let’s keep it diverse. Sweet potatoes are also a good source of fiber which supports your digestion and creates a long-lasting feeling of being full. They contain a good variety of vitamins other than vitamin A (such as B vitamins and vitamin C) as well as minerals including iron, selenium and calcium. Per 100g, sweet potatoes contain about 4.2% sugar, which makes them rather sweet in taste. To me, that’s just a bonus because it means that I can put them into sweet treats as well, such as sweet potato brownies which I will soon post about so stay tuned! Right, are you guys ready to cook? Because I sure as hell am!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
For this recipe you will need:
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger, minced
3 tbsp curry
3 tbsp olive oil
2 sweet potatoes
100g red lentils
4 cups vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk
handful coriander or parsley, chopped
lime wedges to serve
- Cut the sweet potatoes, apple and onions into small cubes.
- In a big pot, dry-fry the curry until you can smell the aroma. At that point, add the olive oil and fry the onion and minced garlic as well as the ginger. Let everything sizzle for 2 minutes, then add the sweet potatoes, apple and onions.
- After about 3 minutes, add the lentils, vegetable stock and coconut milk and cover he pot with a lid. Simmer for 30 minutes with occasional stirring.
- With a hand blender, puree the soup (you can decide if you prefer it slightly chunky or completely smooth), then serve in bowls and top with chopped coriander/parsley and lime wedges.
- Allow this soup to warm your entire body and enjoy the sweet note of the fruity appple – what a combination, am I right?