Golden Turmeric & Cauliflower Soup with Roasted Cashews
Feeling a little cold and tired lately? A hot soup can do the trick! Soups warm our bodies, our hearts, our minds, restore strength and help us recover from a long day out. Personally, I really enjoy eating soups because they bring me ultimate comfort. There’s nothing better than a hot, steaming bowl of soup made with spicy broth, colourful vegetables, yummy herbs and a generous pinch of love. This golden turmeric and cauliflower soup is heavenly creamy, rich in diverse flavours and crunchy thanks to the topped cashews. But before you scroll down to the recipe, be aware the photos that will now follow are going to make you buy a head of cauliflower today! Are you ready? Go get your shoes and shopping bag!
turmeric as medicine
Turmeric is a powerful spice that stems from a plant related to the ginger family. It can be found in Indonesia and regions of China, but is mostly grown in India where it is very commonly used to prepare traditional dishes. It is sharp-tasting and very distinctive in colour, thereby causing a yellow tint to the foods it is added to. Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin (which is why some people refer to this spice as curcuma), which is an antioxidant that helps to prevent types of cancer as well as other chronic diseases. Its medicinal properties are thought to improve arthritis and heartburn, but recent research suggests that is may be much more powerful in aiding health than we thought thus far. For example, curcumin possesses the ability to shut down proteins that are involved in triggering inflammation. Turmeric may also aid in lowering cholesterol levels and preventing the clogging of blood vessels, thereby avoiding heart disease and stroke. If you don’t like it in your food, you can consume turmeric in form of a tablet but I highly recommend using it in turmeric lattes, various curries and also smoothies! I’d say that’s enough information for today, so let’s get choppin’!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
Total Time: 45 min
For this recipe you will need:
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp on ginger, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
800ml vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
handful roasted cashews
3 tsp coconut cream
fresh parsley or coriander, whatever you’re into!
- Roughly chop the cauliflower. In a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Add a dash of broth to prevent burning, then add the cauliflower and stir. After 3-4 minutes, add the vegetable broth and cover with a lid to allow simmering for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, roast some cashews in a frying pan until they turn crunchy and golden-brown.
- Once the cauliflower has softened and everything is nice and bubbly, remove the pot from the heat and use a magic stick to blend all ingredients until the consistency turns thick and creamy. Add the coconut milk and return to the stove.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve in a bowl, top with coconut cream, fresh parsley or coriander (I’ve tried it with both and love them equally (as opposed to my sister who despises coriander)) and lastly add some delicious cashew nuts!
- Hold your bowl of golden soup in your hands, aware of the fact that you took your time to nourish your heart, your mind and your soul. Be sure that I am proud of you, my fellow foodie, and I hope you are too!