Herbed Cauliflower Flatbread with Roasted Fennel
On a scale from 1 to 10, I am simply immensely excited to share this recipe with you today! Cauliflower is one of my favourite vegetables: whether roasted with red onion and turmeric or put into a creamy soup along with coconut milk and cashew nuts. All is delicious and filled with that lovely, subtle cauliflower taste. Regular flatbread is delicious but not as nutritious as I’d like it to be: that’s why I attempted to make one that’s based on cauliflower, buckwheat flour and chia seeds. The fresh herbs, parmesan and roasted fennel give it an extra aroma that is undeniably scrumptious!
praise those chia seeds
Even though these seeds are tiny, they have what it takes. Chia seeds are the eatable seed of a plant from the mint family. They are traditionally cultivated in central Mexico and Guatemala and are commercially grown in Central and South America. Chia seeds are hydrophilic, which means that they love water, absorbing up to 12 times their weight when being soaked. These little seeds consist of about 6% water, 16% protein, 42% carbs and 31% fat (omega 3,6 and 9). We also find B vitamins such as thiamin/B1 (which makes your body use carbohydrates as energy) and niacin/B3 (involved in cellular metabolism throughout your body). In addition, chia seeds are rich in dietary minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. Most of us eat chia seeds in our breakfast, but they are also great for making bread, doughs or yummy flatbread. Now get stirring, people, cause that’s what we will bake today
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min
For this recipe you will need:
½ cauliflower head
2 tbsp chia seeds
¾ cup buckwheat flour
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
fresh twigs of thyme and rosemary
1 tbsp oregano
½ cup parmesan, grated
180 30 min
for the roasted fennel:
1 fennel bulb
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a tray with baking paper.
- Break the cauliflower head into small pieces and pulse in a food processor along with the eggs, chia seeds and olive oil. As soon as the mixture turns smooth, add in the buckwheat flour, oregano, salt and pepper as well as ¾ of the parmesan.
- Spread the mixture on the baking tray and smoothen out. Top it with fresh thyme, rosemary and the left-over parmesan and bake it in the oven for 30 minutes or until the flatbread turns gold-brown and slightly crispy.
- For the roasted fennel, cut the fennel into thin slices and place in a baking dish. Drizzle some olive oil over it and season with salt and pepper. Give it a good stir and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- To serve, slice the flatbread into long pieces and top with roasted fennel. Enjoy this lush flatbread that is delicious and nutritious!