Mediterranean Aubergine with Pistachios & Tahini Dressing (V, GF)
You don’t want meat if you have this! I am happy to share this lush recipe with you today, as it is one of my favourites. It is super easy and quick to make, tastes soft and creamy while crunchy and aromatic. Since I discovered the perfect way of prepping aubergines, I cannot get enough of them. Letting them rest in salt is such a great way to extract the water and get rid of their bitter taste. Thanks to an aromatic olive oil marinade, they turn deliciously buttery and irresistible. The tahini dressing and roasted pistachios give this dish the extra bit of powowow so go ahead, scroll down, get hungry and start cooking!
the bitterness debate
Generally, aubergines aren’t very bitter, it is only the old and overripe aubergines that taste bitter to some extent once their seeds turn dark. If you buy smaller and younger eggplants, you won’t find them to taste bitter. While some people enjoy this slightly bitter side effect, others find it disturbing in their dish. The common way of getting rid of the bitter note is by generously sprinkling salt on aubergine slices or cubes, letting them rest for ~30min and then draining the liquid that has come out of the aubergine, along with the bitterness. The salt leads to osmosis, which means that water molecules will be pulled out of the aubergine. After the 30 minutes have passed, wrap the aubergine pieces in a kitchen towel to absorb the water and remove the excess salt. If you press down on the aubergine to drain even more moisture, small air cells will collapse and allow the eggplant to absorb less oil when being sautéed. However, oil is an important and tasty factor when preparing aubergines, as it creates a soft and buttery texture that will make you fall in love with this dish (if you haven’t already ♥).
Prep Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Total Time: 35 min
For this recipe you will need:
2 small aubergines
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 sp falafel spice (cumin, coriander, ginger)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
for the tahini dressing:
¼ cup tahini
juice of ½ a lemon
3 tbsp water
pinch of salt
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp coriander
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp sesame seeds
50g roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Cut the aubergines lengthwise, place in a deep dish and generously sprinkle with salt. Let them rest for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil with the minced garlic, paprika, dried rosemary and falafel spice.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a tray with baking paper.
- After 30 minutes, use a paper towel to pat the aubergines dry and get rid of excess salt. Marinate the aubergines in the oil mixture and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine all tahini dressing ingredients and blend until you achieved a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Serve the aubergine steaks on a plate, top with tahini dressing as well as roughly chopped pistachios and fresh rosemary.
- You know what to do next: be fully present with your steaming plate of food and cherish the moment. ♥