My Favourite Hazelnut & Quinoa Granola
As you all know, I FREAKIN’ LOVE GRANOLA! It is my favourite breakfast and believe me: I simply don’t get tired of it. You know why? Because granola is extremely diverse, whether you add in different nuts, seeds, grains, dried fruits or spices, you can freely choose and make it yours! In this version (which happens to be my favourite kind), I added hazelnuts, oats, pumpkin seeds, shaved coconut, maple syrup and: quinoa! Yes, that’s right, uncooked quinoa is what ends up on my granola tray to be baked in the oven until it’s golden and crunchy! I like to use the tri-colour mix but just white quinoa works fine too. In case you wondered, quinoa is naturally gluten-free, high in protein (8%) and contains all nine essential amino acids. Let’s make some granola, maybe it will be your favourite too!
Watch me make this granola here:
Prep Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 15-20 min
Total Time: 25-30 min
For this recipe you will need:
½ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
¾ cup uncooked tri-colour quinoa
½ cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup 4-grain oats
½ cup shaved coconut
½ cup shredded coconut
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
½ cup dried figs, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC on fan mode and line a tray with baking paper.
- On the tray or in a bowl, combine the oats, quinoa, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, shaved coconut, cinnamon and salt. Melt the coconut oil and stir it into the mixture together with the maple syrup.
- Place in the oven for bake for 15-20 minutes or until the granola turns crunchy and golden (be careful with the coconut shavings, because they burn easily!).
- Once you remove the granola from the heat, allow it to cool for 5 minutes and then add the figs. Give everything a good stir, transfer to a jar and serve along with yoghurt, berries or banana pancakes, if you are in the mood (find the recipe here).
- Enjoy, my fellow foodies, you deserved it!