Rye bread with Guacamole, Mushrooms & Pickled Onion (V)
A different kind of sandwich. Are you lacking inspiration sometimes? Me too. I oftentimes find myself ending up eating that same old guacamole sandwich topped with a few fresh cherry tomatoes – delicious but boring after a while. Let’s add some newness, shall we?
Prep Time: 20 min (plus 6 hours pickling)
Cooking Time: 5 min
Total Time: 25 min
For this recipe you will need:
For the pickled onions:
6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt
2 tsp raw cane sugar
2 red onions, finely sliced
a few fresh twigs of thyme
For the sandwich:
1 slice of rye bread
1 tbsp fresh or dried thyme
2 spring onions
dash of lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp pickled red onion (see above)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp gomasio (find the recipe here)
- In a small pan, heat the balsamic vinegar with the salt and sugar. Allow it to cook for a few seconds and then take from the stove.
- In a jar, place the onions on the bottom. Top with the balsamic liquid and add the thyme.
- Allow it to cool and then close the jar air-tight. Allow the onions to lie in the pickling juice for at least 6 hours.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil and fry the mushrooms along with the spring onion and thyme.
- Mash the avocado with the lemon juice and salt and pepper – this will be a guacamole party!
- Take the rye bread, top it with this precious green guacamole, the mushrooms, pickled red onion and some gomashio and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!