Spinach & Feta Fritters with Caramelised Onion
These herbed spinach & feta fritters are the dream! I feel like merely looking at them already makes me healthy. Eat your colours is what I tell you almost every second day, right? So here we are: becoming green as a leaf of spinach. Many of you have asked for the recipe, so here it is!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Total Time: 30 min
For this recipe you will need:
2 handfulls spinach
1/2 courgette, grated
100g feta, crumbled
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup herbs, finely chopped (I used chives and dill, but parsley and basil are good too!)
3 tbsp white bean flour (chickpea flour works as well)
salt and pepper to taste
olive or coconut oil to fry
2 red onions
1 tsp maple syrup
Yoghurt of choice (I used unsweetened soy)
cornbread or wholewheat & seed bread
- Blend the eggs with one handful spinach and garlic until smooth and creamy.
- Pour this mixture into a bowl and add in the herbs, grated courgette, the other handful of spinach (roughly chopped) as well as the white bean flour. Stir until well-combined, then fold in the crumbled feta. Season with pepper and salt.
- Heat a bit of olive or coconut oil in a pan and fry each fritter (each one about 2 tbsp worth) for about 2 minutes on each side.
- After the fritters are done frying, caramelise the onions by slicing them thinly and frying them in 1 tsp of olive oil and the maple syrup. First heat the frying pan to high, then reduce the heat after the onions gained some heat (after 1-2 minutes). Allow them to simmer for another 5 -7 minutes on low heat, then transfer to a separate bowl.
- Top the fritters with the onions, sprouts and some yoghurt – I also chopped a cucumber and combined that with soy yoghurt, fresh mint, dill, pepper and salt – hello there, quick & easy tzatziki! Serve with a slice of your bread of choice.
- Do not forget to enjoy!