Vegan Banana Bread with Oats & Walnuts
Breakfast, snack, dessert, starter – this banana bread can be everything and anything! We all need more banana bread in our lives, wouldn’t you sign this petition if it was one?
Prep time: 10 min
Baking time: 45 – 50 min
Total Time: 55 – 60 min
Servings: 1 loaf (that probably won’t last very long)
For this recipe you will need:
1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 medium)
2 tbsp flax seeds
1/3 cup plant-based milk (I used oat)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut or raw cane sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1-2 tsp cinnamon (depending on how cinnamon you like it)
1 1/2 cups spelt flour or whole-grain spelt flour
1/2 cup walnuts halves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a loaf pan with baking paper (unless you’re using a silicone one!).
- In a food processor or blender, mix the ripe banana, oat milk, maple syrup, peanut butter, vanilla extract and flax seeds until smooth. (If you do not have a blender, you can simply mash the banana with a fork – in this case, you’ll need to use ground flaxseeds though!) Pour this mixture into a bowl and add in the coconut oil, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Now stir in the flour, oats and baking powder and whisk until there are no remaining clumps.
- Pout the batter into your loaf pan and cover the top of the banana bread with walnuts – gently press them onto the surface to ensure that they stick to the surface.
- Bake the banana bread for about 45 – 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool before slicing and serving along with your favourite toppings: I recommend coconut yoghurt, raspberry chia jam, peanut butter, a drizzle of maple syrup and some roasted nuts to top it off!