Vegan Brownies with Oats & Applesauce
Most of us love chocolate. And brownies. So here we are: a vegan brownie recipe that does not require butter, refined sugar or white flour. This gooey dream is super tasty, full of chocolate and GOOD for you (in moderation, of course – let’s not get too taken away by that delicious & nutritious wagon..). Get your oven to preheat, throw on an apron or leave the apron out and get a few chocolate stains on your shirt – who cares!
Prep Time: 15 min
Baking time: 25-30 min
Total Time: 40-45 min
Servings: 9 big brownies (or 12 medium or 16 small or 20 tiny or 24 invisibly miniature)
For this recipe you will need:
3/4 cup (90g) oat flour
1/2 cup (60g) cacao powder
1 cup (150g) roughly chopped 85% dark chocolate
1 tbsp coconut oil
2/3 cups (170ml) oat milk (or other plant-based milk)
2/3 cups (170g) unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup (100g – you can also use 80g if you like is slightly less sweet) raw cane or coconut sugar
1/4 tsp Bourbon vanilla, ground
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
handful of hazelnuts
homemade fruit compote to serve the brownies with (eg. 3 ripe peaches and one mango, or make a batch of raspberry chia jam)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a rectangular or square baking dish with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine the out flour, cacao, salt, sugar, vanilla and baking powder.
- Add in the applesauce and oat milk and whisk to combine.
- Fill a small pot with ca. 3cm water and bring to a. boil. Roughly chop the chocolate and then place in a metal bowl above the water to melt. Occasionally stir and once completely fluid, pour into the batter. Mix well until fully combined, then pour it into your baking dish. If you are using hazelnuts, roughly chop them and distribute across the batter.
- Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes. When inserting a knife, a bit of the dough can still stick – that’s fine: we like our brownies to be fudgy!
- For the fruit compote, chop up the peaches and mango and add to a pot over medium heat. Add in a little bit of vanilla as well as 2-3 tbsp of water. Stir occasionally and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve while hot! Your taste buds with thank you, so will your lucky friends and family whom you’ll serve these brownies to!