Warm Beetroot Salad with Walnuts, Parsley and Feta
First claim: salads can be exciting, especially if they’re warm. Second claim: beetroot is simply delicious when combined with feta cheese, walnuts and parsley. If you have any doubts about the success of this combination, you came to the right place today. I will show you that this warm beetroot salad (that truly is so much more than just beetroot) can raise your taste buds to another level of delight and show them what a healthy treat can taste like. Am I promising too much? If any, I am promising too little.
the beets of your heart
Do you like eating beets? Well, your body will thank you for that! Beetroots contain a variety of minerals that help to boost your immune system (iron, selenium and zinc), support healthy teeth and your bones (calcium, phosphorus). Beetroots are also a good source for vitamin C, an antioxidant that prevents cell damage, enhances iron absorption and supports collagen production. Another compound that can be found in beetroots is betaine which reduces fatty deposits in the liver and helps to protect from toxic residues. Eating beetroots in whatever form you choose (though note that their nutritional value is highest in the form of cold-pressed juice) can also help to lower high blood pressure thanks to nitrates that help to relax your blood vessels. Beetroots are low in calories (~43ckal/100g), have very low carbohydrates (~10g/100g) and almost no fat. Just as a little reminder: your blood may turn red/pinkish after consumption of beetroot, so don’t be alarmed but instead positively surprised – life is colourful!
For this recipe you will need:
500g beetroots, pre-cooked
1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1 red onion, sliced
2 twigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
a handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
150g feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
For the vinaigrette:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp grainy mustard
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp honey
1-2 tbsp water
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC on fan mode and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop the beetroots into bite-friendly chunks and place them on the baking tray. Sprinkle them with olive oil, pepper and salt and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the vinaigrette by simply mixing all ingredients in a jar and giving it a shake so that the oil combines well with the other liquids.
- After 10 minutes of roasting, add the rosemary, onion and walnuts to the beetroots and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Place the beetroot mix in a bowl, add the parsley and roughly break the feta cheese into the salad. Add the vinaigrette and give all a good stir. Serve while still warm!